My blog of progress, and or failure as I attempt making a music project.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tropical Storm Day

Today we have Tropical Storm Fay cruising over my normally sunny state of Florida. So I have some time to myself today, because my classes are canceled and I'm off work. So its a blustery, and rainy lazy day. I've mainly been web surfing on this web browser by Mozilla coincidentally named Flock. If you are reading this by now, I'm certain you've heard my music, and my name is something other than Flock, but as a reminder this is what my name was going to be.

Today I have also been reading Watchmen, and I'm coming closer and closer to the end. It's probably time to take a break from that and start constructively using my time to try and finish my final song.

With my unveiling of my music so close. My friends leaving soon. The summer ending. I am feeling nostalgic.

Being so close to the end making my first demo I want to recap.

  • Flock (or my music project) has been in the back of my mind for most of last year, and vaguely even before that. It is undated but the first time I actually sat down and wrote out ideas for the sound I wanted were in my small notebook.
  • In my notebook I detailed that Dynamics were going to be one of the most important aspects of the songs. I listed Manchester Orchestra, Radiohead's Exit Music for a Film, Feist, and The Mars Volta among others as influences. This has obviously changed looking back on things.
  • I believe shortly after that I made an incomplete song. This was unrecorded.
  • Project ideas remained mental for some time after that.
  • Once again undated but sometime after Christmas of last year I wrote in an Idea Log I received from Steven as a gift that I wanted to do a music project. I listed inspiration from Dntel, Iron & Wine, Bright Eyes, and Radiohead's In Rainbows.
  • Once again Ideas simmered for a while.
  • My blog has been in production along side the recording of my music for a little less than four months.
  • It dates my earliest serious recording as May 31st. This recording was titled "Hopefully This is okay with you" and It was abandoned later and evolved into An Opening Parenthesis.
  • First real song recorded circa June 9th or 10th. Then called Still, Quiet, Certain now called An Open Parenthesis.
  • From the end of July to the middle of August I work on recording A Closing Parenthesis. Note: I am still perfecting and adding to this song.
  • August 13th I begin recording the final song for the demo which will be track 2.
Present: I am finishing recording  "Everything Between". I am putting the finishing touches on "A Closing Parenthesis".

No comments: